Tuesday, January 19, 2010

It was a long winter...

I say that like winter is somewhere near being over, but this warm weather has tricked me into thinking that spring is here. If only~ I noticed it'd been an extremely long time since I posted something here, apparently when a holiday rolls around, I take a long time off...1 week for Labour Day, a month and a half for Christmas...but at least I have some news to report.

The week of Christmas I did an order for a local salon, they bought 129 jars of my eyeshadow, and they are for sale at the Green Room, Camrose. The 5 gram square base jar retails there for $20 CDN, or 3/$50. They also have their own signature color, Mistletoe, available from them and myself only. Signature colors I create for a client are based on a few different things, my mood at the time, the season...this particular signature is a gorgeous holiday green complete with sparks of red and gold, partially due to my Christmas Eve delivery (what a day that was XD) and to the excitement at my first real contract job.

My business license for 2010 should arrive any day now, but I can still practice business until it gets here =p Since the eyeshadow job, I received a small shipment of new oils that I've been working with, and a better lip balm has formulated itself out of these new ingredients. My new batches of uncolored lip balm are $6 CDN, and so far come in 2 different recipes; one using nut based oils for extra dry skin, and a fruit based recipe for moisture and vitamins. Two flavors of each formulation exist; cherry and peach (3 of each available), & chocolate mint and coconut cream (4 of each available). They are sweetened with a vegan sweetener, and the flavor oils are made with all natural ingredients. I really hope to expand my flavor and fragrance choices in the future.

The last thing I've worked on recently is a brown sugar body scrub. Last time I bought a sugar scrub, which was almost 3 years ago, I used it once, and it was so greasy and slimy that I haven't touched a sugar scrub since. Again, I have formulated 2 different batches similar to the lip balms; a nut based oil formulation for extra dry skin, and the fruit oil based formula for moisture and vitamins. The nut based formula comes in scent Vanilla Hazelnut, and the fruit oil scrub is scented with Blood Orange and Vanilla essential oils (just for Dawn).

After testing a small amount on my hand, I found the oils to absorb into my skin extremely quickly. I could just brush off the sugar, and didn't feel a need to wash my hand off at all. When I applied it to my mom's hands later, I could again just brush off the sugar and continue using my hands normally. Mom bought 2 containers after not being able to choose between the formulas, using the gift card I gave her for Christmas, so I currently have 2 left with the plan to make another batch before lunch. Assuming I finish this post before lunch, since I've been looking at heat seal bands for this size of container. Speaking of which, the heat seal bands for the lip balms should be here any day, and I'm just waiting on the labels. The sugar scrub does have a label, and I think I really like how it looks on the jar.

Some time in the future, I plan to make a completely organic version of this, released in a higher end line. Some oils I use currently are organic, some are not, but of course the organic ones are much more expensive.

Going to look through my camera later/take some photos to post on this beast. Also handing out samples of the scrub to people. SAMPLEZ.

No comments:

Post a Comment